HOW DOES IT WORK ?
Among other things, foam is characterised by its expanding quality – the difference between the amount of foam produced in comparison to the amount of foam solution used (premixed).
There are three types of fixed installations for automatic extinguishing, depending on foam expansion :
- Low-expansion (less than 20) : foam is sprayed by micro generators, special nozzles or guns with long range.
- Middle-expansion (between 20 and 200) : foams are sprayed by lances up to 10 metres or by generators in retention basins.
- High-expansion (more than 200) : foam is very airy and contains little water. It can be discharged by means of generators.
WHAT HAPPENS DURING A FIRE :
The performance of a foam extinguishing system is based on a combination of several modes of action :
- Capacity of foam to suppress the fire by isolating the combustible material from the air
- Cooling effect, to a greater or lesser importance depending on its nature
WHEN IS IT USED ?
Depending on your site, our teams are able to ascertain the best suited foam:
- Low-expansion foam : hydrocarbon depots, alcohols, solvents, industrial and chemical processes, retention containers, tanks.
- Medium-expansion foam : hydrocarbon depots, alcohols, solvents, industrial and chemical processes, pneumatic storage (chemicals, aerosols, alcohols, agrochemical, pharmaceutical and industrial products).
- High-expansion foam : pneumatic storage warehouses (chemicals, aerosols, alcohols, agrochemical, pharmaceutical and industrial products), cellars, cable tunnels, production units with flammable materials.